From time to time, WhatsApp updates the messaging app usage requirements, stopping working in some mobile settings. The newest “cut list” becomes effective on November 1, 2021, with changes to Android phones.
Straight to the point:
- New WhatsApp support list becomes effective on November 1, 2021;
- Android-ecemly phones may be affected.
Facebook announced on WhatsApp support pages that the messaging app will no longer be compatible with Android phones using version 4.0.4 or earlier of the operating system. The company recommends transferring the account of affected devices to a mobile phone with a more current version of the system, or at least backing up conversations.
- Read also: WhatsApp: most common problems and their solutions
From November 1, 2021, Zap will only operate on mobile phones equipped with the following systems:
- Android 4.1 (or higher);
- iOS 10 (or higher);
- KaiOS 2.5.0 (or higher).
Some Android models that will no longer be compatible with WhatsApp:
- LG Optimus L5
- LG Optimus L7
- Motorola Atrix 2
- Motorola Droid 4
- Motorola Razr V
- Samsung Galaxy S Duos
- Samsung Galaxy Y Plus
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S
- Sony Xperia neo L
- Related: The best phones up to R $ 1,000 to buy
Update your operating system to continue using WhatsApp
If your smartphone uses Android version 4.0.4 or earlier, it’s important to make sure there isn’t a system update for your phone. The step-by-step varies by manufacturer, but is generally similar to the following instructions:
- Open the Settings app;
- Access the System menu;
- Choose the Advanced option;
- Select System Updates;
- Tap the Check button and install the available updates.
In the case of iOS, just follow the steps:
- Go to the Settings app;
- Open the General option;
- Select the Software Update option;
- Tap the Download and Install button.
WhatsApp crashed on Windows Phone in January 2020/©
Previous changes to the WhatsApp compatibility list
Previous versions of the systems stopped working with WhatsApp on the following dates:
- Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) — February 2021;
- Android 2.3.7 (Gingerbread) — February 2020;
- Android 2.2 (Froyo) — January 2017;
- iOS 9 — March 2021;
- iOS 8 — February 2020;
- iOS 6 — January 2017;
- Windows 10 Mobile — January 2020;
- Windows Phone 8 — January 2018;
- Windows Phone 7.1 — January 2017;
- BlackBerry OS / BlackBerry 10 — January 2018;
- Nokia S40 — January 2019;
- Samsung Tizen — October 2020;
- Symbian S60 — July 2017.
List of best